Saturday, June 18, 2011

Help for 15-yr old with displaced knee cap - Baseball Injury

Story by Jim Hill- Shaklee Distributor

I'm a 47 year-old marathon runner who played baseball in high school, so my answer is coming from that perspective.


The problem with this type of injury is that it can happen again and again if it is not rehab'ed properly. So, he should insist on getting good rehab. I see that it is important to strengthen the hip abductors and hip flexors that help stabilize the kneecap. 


The rebuilding work he will be doing is driven by 3 major components: complete proteins, slow burning carbohydrates (i.e. low glycemic), and healthy fats. 


Physique is excellent post-workout for replenishing the body with the carbs it needs for energy and the protein it needs for rebuilding and strengthening. 


Cinch is my meal of choice and I alternate the soy with the whey to get protein from different sources because I believe we are usually better off to vary our sources of healthy nutrients. I like the taste of the shakes made with vanilla soymilk, but everyone has their own favorite taste. It's not unusual for me to throw in some frozen strawberries and blueberries to boost the nutrient and antioxidant content. For a dessert and meal in one I use one scoop of cafe latte and one scoop of chocolate Cinch, some ice, 8 oz. of vanilla soy milk, some spring water, and top it off with a generous portion of chocolate syrup (the sugar isn't so healthy, but mmm, mmmm good).


I find nothing better for my joints than Osteomatrix and Alfalfa Complex. Don't cut these nutrients short! My base level is 2 Osteomatrix, 2 times a day and 8 Alfalfa, 2 times a day. When I have an injury or some pains that indicate an injury may be coming I increase these levels. Don't be shy with the Alfalfa. The Persians called Alfalfa "the father of all foods " and said it made their horses strong and fast. It's one of the few food crops whose roots reach down 15-25 feet in the soil and bring up precious trace minerals into the leaves.


The 3rd product I add for joints is Omega-Guard which gives complete complex of Omega-3 fatty acids. Most of us are terribly out of balance when it comes to our ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids. Scientific research has shown that all the major anti-inflammatory health benefits start to be seen as we approach a ratio of 1:1 (i.e. an equal amount of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids). For more info about the research go tohttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332202002536 and click on the PDF link at the top of the page to download the paper. Without these healthy fats my joints start to feel "dry". It's like I'm a tin man and they need oil.


There are 2 specialty products that I use for pain: Pain Relief Complex and Joint and Muscle Pain Cream. I use these like I would an aspirin or Tylenol and Ben-Gay. 


For joint rebuilding I use Joint Health Complex, but I've found that it is only helpful for me for about a week and then my joints start to feel too "full" and it seems like I am overdoing a good thing.


One thing I haven't said is that I combine all of this with the basic Vitalizer and Vivix. I'm not sure how important Vivix would be for him at this point in his life, but Vitalizer is a must! Everyone needs this base level of nutritional supplementation. It's amazing to me that we can get this powerhouse of organic, pure supplementation at the prices Shaklee offers. Can you imagine what it would cost to go to Whole Foods or your local market and buy all the organic produce, then bring it home and test it for purity like Shaklee does?


To your health

No comments:

Post a Comment